Simple mindfulness meditation:
- Find a comfortable, quiet place with natural light
- Set an amount of time. most beginners start with five minutes a day and increase time with practice Use a meditation timer, your phone or kitchen timer
- Sit on support – a park bench, a meditation cushion or mat, somewhere solid where you can be comfortable, your feet or knees touch the floor or ground.
- Focus on your breath
- Breathe in with your nose or mouth and follow your breath.
- Breathe out, releasing tension.
- As you breathe in and out, know you are alive in the moment
- If your mind wanders, go back to breathing in and out without judgment or expectation
- If you need to shift position, pause, gently move and then return and follow your breath
- When you are done, gently lift your eyes or open them
- Pause, feel your thoughts and emotions and decide how you want to go on with your day
- Whenever you feel stressed take a mindfulness moment, focus on your breathing and enjoy the moment as tension is released.
- A recent JAMA study found that those who practiced mindfulness meditation had reduced chronic back pain. Others found reduced gastrointestinal issues, less anxiety, improved cholesterol levels and much more
We hope mindfulness meditation adds Zen to your life!